Sous Chef – Winston-Salem, NC
We’re always on the lookout for awesomeness. Do you have it? If so then there may be a place for you on the Foothills team. Apply online using our Employment Application, or download our pdf version and send with your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. PLEASE NOTE: background check required for all positions.
Reports to: Executive Chef
Position Summary: Oversees and coordinates daily activities and operations of cooks and other employees engaged in preparing and cooking food products; maintains the quality, presentation, professional attitude, and sanitation of the kitchen.
- Oversee and direct kitchen staff. Responsible for all kitchen operations
- Oversee the preparation, execution, quality control, and portion control of all food orders
- Maintain performance standards of excellence and motivate team through training, direction and positive role modeling
- Responsible for inventory control and management to control cost and reduce waste. Order inventory weekly and monitor pricing from vendors.
- Perform monthly inventory count and report results to Accounting. Ensure inventory costs are properly updated based on vendor pricing.
- Monitor food cost in relation to menu pricing. Maintain recipe cost cards to ensure menu pricing will achieve desired margins.
- Practice and enforce safe food handling procedures and safety procedures
- Offer creative ideas and be flexible with the rapid growth of the business and evolving brand
- Assist with the selection of menu changes and updates
- Oversee cleaning and maintenance to ensure compliance with health department regulations
- Standardize production of recipes to ensure consistent execution and quality of menu items
- Serves as staff liaison to communicate specials and new menu items to servers, kitchen staff, and managers
- Enforce policies regarding side work, smoking, drinking, etc.
- Set a good example for the rest of the staff by working hard throughout the shift and following all policies you are enforcing on others
- Document any performance issues encountered with any employee immediately. Communicate performance issues directly to the employee and to HR.
- Other duties as required
- Demonstrated proficiency in supervising and motivating subordinates
- Basic competence in subordinates’ duties and tasks
- Good judgement with the ability to make timely and sound decisions
- Versatility, flexibility, and a willingness to work within constantly changing
priorities with enthusiasm
- Acute attention to detail
- Strong organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills
- Ability to manage priorities and workflow
- Strong communications skills; Bi-lingual skills a plus
- Punctual and dependable
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Culinary Arts Degree
- Previous management experience
- Previous full-service restaurant experience
- ServSafe certification
- Certified in TIPS alcohol training
- Proficient in Excel and Word
Essential Physical Functions:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- • Carrying • Writing • Bending • Stooping • Grasping
- • Standing • Twisting • Sitting • Lifting • Walking
- • Kneeling • Reaching overhead • Crouching
- • Communicating with customers and co-workers • Using telephone and fax machines
- Lifting/pulling/pushing up to 55 pounds frequently
- Working on your feet for over 8 hours a day
- Moving around in a tight space
- Working in extreme temperatures
- Working with hazardous materials when cleaning
- Must have depth perception and be able to distinguish basic colors
Visual/Audible Acuity Requirements
- Must be able to see and hear clearly
- Must be able to see less than 20” away and a distance of more than 20 feet
- Must have use of side vision
- Must be able to read and distinguish small print.
- Critical reasoning
- Decision making
- Attention to detail
- Service orientation
Foothills Brewing is an Equal Opportunity Employer.